POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
3 May 2024 15:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: clipka
Date: 14 May 2017 08:15:31
Message: <59184a63$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.05.2017 um 13:17 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> On 05/14/2017 06:08 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Am 08.05.2017 um 02:13 schrieb green:
>>
>> MS Visual Studio has an option called "Whole Program Optimization",
>> which allows the compiler/linker to optimize stuff looking at the "big
>> picture" rather than just individual source files. Apparently this can
>> cause a mess when programs have source files compiled with AVX
>> instructions enabled and others without, in that the compiler/linker may
>> accidentally "contaminate" the AVX-free portions with calls to portions
>> which happen to have been compiled with AVX instructions enabled.
>>

> Have you done any performance comparisons with and without this
> optimization?

Not before; but running a quick test just now, disabling whole program
optimization seems to give me a 6% performance drop on my machine, so
that settles it for me.

> On a related matter. A while back you started a linux branch to bring
> the intel/amd noise optimizations to that platform too. Did this effort
> stop due some fundamental reason or just lack of time thus far?

I still intend to pursue that path, and as a matter of fact a portion of
the necessary changes had already been part of the codebase for beta 6.
They just didn't enter it via a merge (and I also postponed another
portion of the changes), as they conflicted with the additional
optimizations AMD had provided us with prior to beta 6.

So I've been re-tracing the steps I had made in my `feature/unix_cpu`
branch, and manually porting them on top of those AMD optimizations; and
with the crashes of beta 6 hopefully out of the way now, I intend to
continue that work any day now.