POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
3 May 2024 11:41:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 May 2017 07:17:27
Message: <59183cc7$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/14/2017 06:08 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 08.05.2017 um 02:13 schrieb green:
>
> MS Visual Studio has an option called "Whole Program Optimization",
> which allows the compiler/linker to optimize stuff looking at the "big
> picture" rather than just individual source files. Apparently this can
> cause a mess when programs have source files compiled with AVX
> instructions enabled and others without, in that the compiler/linker may
> accidentally "contaminate" the AVX-free portions with calls to portions
> which happen to have been compiled with AVX instructions enabled.

Have you done any performance comparisons with and without this
optimization?

The gnu compiler / linker has such an option too - experimental. Trying
it, I got significantly smaller load modules, but in what I ran not much
in the way of performance(1). I hacked make files and my development
environment to get it to compile and link. Perhaps I didn't get the set
up entirely right.

On a related matter. A while back you started a linux branch to bring
the intel/amd noise optimizations to that platform too. Did this effort
stop due some fundamental reason or just lack of time thus far?

Bill P.

(1) - Before I adopted the habit of doing performance comparisons the
threads <= cores to get somewhat away from cache-induced performance
variability.