POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: clipka
Date: 9 May 2017 10:05:32
Message: <5911ccac$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.05.2017 um 00:29 schrieb omniverse:

> However... I looked at a scene file of a plotted chart I have for keeping track
> of motorcycle MPG and maintenance, which uses a cubic spline sphere_sweep, and
> found differences in appearance of that.
>
> Official 3.7 and beta 5 is able to do the sphere_sweep with only one minor tiny
> slice at a bend, almost unnoticeable, yet the beta 6 makes a few other places
> look like discontinuities at other bends.

Yes that's a known regression.

Unfortunately, the patch that fixed this in 3.7.0 has turned out to
totally wreck cubic sphere sweeps in differences and merges.

So the patch has been withdrawn, and it's back to the drawing board to
find a different solution for those sphere sweep artifacts.

I intend to address the issue prior to the final 3.7.1 release, but
currently I must admit that I can't promise anything.

> Curiously the *always there* artifact is diagonal and not at a bend (not exactly
> anyway) while the new ones seem to be vertical and at either top or bottom of
> the bends yet not all bends (it is an erratic sine wave), although most are
> overlapped by a sphere as plotting points.

As far as we are aware so far, the artifacts appear in places where the
sphere sweep runs nearly perpendicular to the viewing direction. Can you
confirm this?

> The good news: render time goes down from 9 minutes 27 seconds to 8 minutes 54
> seconds, give or take a few seconds.

Yes, we've managed to improve performance in a few places, including
sphere sweeps (both cubic and linear). We've also fixed the cubic sphere
sweep bounding at last.