POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
28 Apr 2024 10:47:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 9 May 2017 08:14:46
Message: <5911b2b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/09/2017 01:51 AM, omniverse wrote:
> Simple example of sphere_sweep cubic spline problem I told of earlier, if
> rendered using beta 6. Does not show same in official 3.7 or previous beta 5.
>
> /* begin */
> /* end */

Thanks for the test scene. I've added it to a small collection of
problem sphere_sweeps I have going. Also helpful to see you trying such
a large value for tolerance and getting a better result. I'd always
followed the documentation with respect to magnitude suggestions and had
never seen tolerance affect much.

Christoph backed out a fix in beta 6 which caused other problems but
made sphere_sweep artifacts like yours better. I thrashed around in this
code yesterday without much luck. Starting to think completely fixing
things here may require changes in the core solver - that sphere_sweep
issues might be tangled somewhat in the tiny discontinuities we see in
other objects at times due scale and ray/surface/coordinate inflections.

The great news is Christoph fixed ALL the sphere_sweep auto-bounding
issues I have in hand in beta 6! The auto-bounding issue has dogged
sphere_sweeps from day one with this object.

Bill P.