POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Final) : Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Final) Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:35:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Final)
From: Stephen
Date: 6 May 2017 05:23:42
Message: <590d961e$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/6/2017 8:02 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 5-5-2017 20:55, Stephen wrote:
>> From my understanding Americans don't use the "C" word as a swear word.
>> In the UK we do. But Shakespeare says it better than I do, in Twelfth
>> Night (Act 2 Scene 5)
>>
>> MALVOLIO
>> (picking up the letter) My goodness, this is my lady’s handwriting.
>>
>> These are her C’s, her U’s and her T’s, and that’s how she makes her big
>> P’s. It’s definitely her handwriting, no doubt about it.
>>

>> Yes, you can get away with anything by blaming it on Shakespeare. ;-)
>>

> Great! I never noticed that! Twelfth Night was the very first
> Shakespeare I saw at the theatre in my youth and I remember clearly that
> very scene.  :-)

It may have been bowdlerised. It often is.
When I first saw it. The letters of another slang word were used. I knew
what the joke was by the audience reaction but could not understand it.
Did you get the buttery-bar joke?

A Midsummer Night's Dream is the other one that is used to introduce
Shakespeare to children.
That too has its questionable bits with the rude mechanicals.

  __

Regards
     Stephen