POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...) : Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...) Server Time
3 May 2024 19:42:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kool-Aid Computer Wallpaper (Work In Progress...)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 3 May 2017 10:00:00
Message: <5909e260@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2017 09:10 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 02.05.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Dave Blandston:
>
>> PS - I'm not sure if the phrase "Drink the Kool-Aid" is known worldwide, so for
>> anyone unfamiliar with it the historical context is from the Jonestown, Guyana
>> mass suicide incident in which hundreds of people knowingly drank grape Kool-Aid
>> poisoned with cyanide. The poison Kool-Aid was in a vat labeled with a green
>> "C." Since then the term has been used to describe the act of compromising one's
>> integrity and adopting the unethical standards and methods of those in power in
>> order to advance within some corrupt organization.
>
> I've heard the expression in the more general sense of adopting someone
> else's bullshit ideology or values in blind faith.

That has been my understanding as well.  When my faith abandoned me (in
the middle of a church service, no less), I did not feel comfortable
remaining in a community whose very rationale as a community was that
set of beliefs that I no longer shared.  As communities that are *not*
faith-based are practically non-existent in my locale, I was forced to
find explicitly non-believing communities on-line, and when they talk
about "drinking the Kool-Aid," it always refers to swallowing dogma.