POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Egg : Re: Egg Server Time
15 May 2024 15:03:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Egg
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 May 2017 07:02:04
Message: <5908672c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1-5-2017 14:06, Stephen wrote:
> On 5/1/2017 12:11 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> Yes Clipka has put the fear of god into us. :-)
>>> I suppose it depends what you intend by scaling the models.
>>>

>> Indeed, yes. Take my image as example, the dragon is scaled 0.01, the
>> egg 0.25, the cube is not scaled, and the floor 0.50. It seems best to
>> use a standard mm_per_unit and change translucency as needed.
>>

> My understanding is that the mm_per_unit is the world/scene scale
>
> And to add to the confusion (on my part at least) meshes can have an
> internal scale and an external one. By internal scale I mean the scaling
> you can change in PoseRay before exporting and external is how you
> change it in PovRay.
> In Blender when using the physics engine the scale should be 1.0. So to
> scale a mesh. You need to edit it and scale it there. Otherwise you get
> unexpected results.
> So if the dragon is an ornament. I would scale it down in PoseRay. If it
> is a statue scale it up in PoseRay. Keep the mm_per_unit as the default.
> Having said that. I have not used SSLT since its RC3. :-(
> So what do I know?

I have been pondering this a bit. I think that you do achieve the same
(using meshes of course) if you first do basic transforms (in POV-Ray)
and /then/ use that copy of the original object with SSLT. In fact, I do
that exercise quite often:

#declare MyObject =
object {MyMesh_POV_
   transform {MyTransforms}