POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Egg : Re: Egg Server Time
21 May 2024 23:47:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Egg
From: Stephen
Date: 1 May 2017 08:06:14
Message: <590724b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/1/2017 12:11 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 1-5-2017 12:08, Stephen wrote:
>> On 5/1/2017 7:50 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>
>>> I am a bit wary about the mm_per_unit and prefer not to touch it too
>>> much, especially if different objects have different scales.
>>
>> Yes Clipka has put the fear of god into us. :-)
>> I suppose it depends what you intend by scaling the models.
>>

> Indeed, yes. Take my image as example, the dragon is scaled 0.01, the
> egg 0.25, the cube is not scaled, and the floor 0.50. It seems best to
> use a standard mm_per_unit and change translucency as needed.

My understanding is that the mm_per_unit is the world/scene scale

And to add to the confusion (on my part at least) meshes can have an
internal scale and an external one. By internal scale I mean the scaling
you can change in PoseRay before exporting and external is how you
change it in PovRay.
In Blender when using the physics engine the scale should be 1.0. So to
scale a mesh. You need to edit it and scale it there. Otherwise you get
unexpected results.
So if the dragon is an ornament. I would scale it down in PoseRay. If it
is a statue scale it up in PoseRay. Keep the mm_per_unit as the default.
Having said that. I have not used SSLT since its RC3. :-(
So what do I know?

--

Regards
     Stephen