POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RGB color cube function? : Re: RGB color cube function? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RGB color cube function?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 29 Apr 2017 08:45:24
Message: <59048ae4$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/28/2017 05:33 PM, Lars R. wrote:
> I'd like to render some objects whose RGB color pigment is just the
> coordinate of that surface point.
>
> So, when I render a "unit cube" box{<0,0,0>,<1,1,1>} it is just a RGB
> color cube, but when I cut some slices than the "inner colors" are visible.
>
> How can this be made?
>
> Lars R.
>
> P.S.: I don't care for the colors outside of the unit cube. It might be
> "saturating" or repeating or black or transparent, I just have objects
> within that unit cube.

If you are running with POV-Ray 3.7.1 or later there is the new
user_defined pattern for pigments where the channels are each controlled
directly by functions. See:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:User_Defined_Pattern

For what you want something like:

pigment {
   user_defined {
     function { x },
     function { y },
     function { z },
     ,
   }
}

should work I think.

Aside: I've played only a little with Christoph's new feature here, but
it's obvious already to me that it throws open the door - so to speak -
on what can be done with pigments. I'm also finding this method of
specifying pigments easy to use.

Bill P.