POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Egg : Re: Egg Server Time
26 Apr 2024 17:00:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Egg
From: Stephen
Date: 26 Apr 2017 18:29:11
Message: <59011f37$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/26/2017 8:46 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 17-04-26 à 09:00, Stephen a écrit :
>> On 4/26/2017 12:21 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>> Recently, I found a blackbird eggshell and wanted to model its texture.
>>> It gave me the opportunity to play again with some (UberPOV) settings I
>>> like and using subsurface scattering throughout the scene.
>>>
>>> So, here we are with all objects showing subsurface scattering.
>>>
>>> UberPOV antialiasing set at +am3 +a0.01 +ac0.90 +r3 and using no_cache.
>>> 2h20' render time with 6 cores. This would be much longer if using
>>> +ac0.99 of course.
>>>

>> Did you use stochastic rendering? It looks a little bit grainy. Other
>> than that it is excellent.
>>
>> +am3 - I see that you did.
>>

> You bet he did.

I don't gamble. At least with anything as trivial as money. ;)
I did not see Thomas's setting until I was about to post.

> no_cache and +am+ both enable stochastic rendering. The first in the
> radiosity evaluation, the second in antialiasing.

Thanks, I did not know that. At least the no_cache setting. I don't
normally use radiosity myself.
Does that mean +am1 or +am2 enables stochastic rendering? I thought it
was only +am3 that did that. But then I've only used UberPov when I was
working on Dhalgren with Thomas and he set the quality settings.

I am an egg. :-)
Albeit a thousand-year-old egg. Yum yum.

--

Regards
     Stephen