POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Testing ... : Re: Testing ... Server Time
23 Apr 2024 18:42:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing ...
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 13 Apr 2017 07:40:28
Message: <58ef63ac$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/12/2017 3:40 PM, Alain wrote:
> Le 17-04-12 à 07:10, Jim Holsenback a écrit :
>>>
>>> Interesting, although I miss a bit of highlights on leaves and petals.
>>> They seem a bit flat.
>>>
>> yeah i know what you mean ... it's the fresnel. perhaps a misuse for
>> those materials. this is still a wip and i ran out of time.
>
> What's the ior of your flower?
> Remember that fresnel really always need an ior, or it just don't work
> at all.
> My guess for the ior needed would be somewhere between 1.3 and 1.4.
> Close to that of water.

yep using 1.3 (water) and hollow on as well. fresnel is angle dependent
(lighting and/or viewing) right? maybe that's where i'm missing the bus.

also (not /entirely/ unrelated) regarding variable reflection. it seems
a bit threshold-ish ... that is: reflection { 0, 0.2 fresnel } doesn't
give exactly what i'd expect but reflection { any-small-none-zero-value,
0.2 fresnel } does