POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SpectralRender/ior.inc dispersion mismatches : SpectralRender/ior.inc dispersion mismatches Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:08:20 EDT (-0400)
  SpectralRender/ior.inc dispersion mismatches
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 12 Apr 2017 22:45:17
Message: <58eee63d@news.povray.org>
I am working on a diamond cut.  A while ago, in comparing ior.inc
dispersion with Lilysoft's SpectralRender ("Native dispersion v.
spectral render" in p.b.i), I noticed a discrepancy in the apparent
index of refraction of BK7 glass between the two renders.  So, just to
make sure that wasn't a fluke, I tested both methods with a diamond prism.

The images are of a glowing rod viewed through the prism.  I used black
body 6504 for the SpectralRender runs because the black body curve is
smoother in the violet area than D65; but I used rgb 1 (equivalent to
D65) for the native POV-Ray runs, because POV-Ray's dispersion algorithm
alters the hues of wavelengths for colored lights.  The two whites are
very similar, but D65 has less violet.  The SpectralRender output is
gamut-mapped to preserve hues.  The environment for all renders was
centralized in an include file to guarantee consistency.

Image thru-pbi-diamond1.png shows my initial set of test runs.  The
leftmost spectrum uses the dispersion value from consts.inc, and the
rightmost uses the dispersion value from ior.inc.  I have not shown a
render of the IOR from consts.inc, because I've long considered that
value a typo, but if SpectralRender's detailed wavelength data are the
benchmark, it is clear that const.inc's dispersion value is not accurate
either.

But there is still a difference between ior.inc and SpectralRender in
the overall amount of refraction.

I took a look at their respective values for n.  They are:

   ior.inc   SpectralRender
   -------   --------------
   2.4170    2.4176

The SpectralRender value is that of spline S_IOR_Diamond at wavelength D.

That difference is too small to account for the discrepancy between the
renders.  My next thought was, what if POV-Ray's dispersion algorithm
assumes that n is at a more central wavelength, say 550 mn?  I tried ior
S_IOR_Diamond(550), and the result is the leftmost spectrum of image
thru-pbi-diamond2.png.  But I had to take it down even further, to ior
S_IOR_Diamond(515), for a comparable match.  That render is the
rightmost spectrum.

It didn't take long browsing ior.inc to find in the notes that n is
assumed to be at wavelength D.  I am no expert at any of this, and my
ability to concentrate on *anything* (e.g., math, physics, SDL code) has
waned sharply since my days as a young tech nerd, so I was at a loss as
to what was going on.

But then I belatedly got the idea to render an image with no dispersion.
  The result is the center panel of image thru-pbi-diamond3.png. The rod
does indeed match the center of the ior.inc spectrum (to the left) and
the D wavelength of the SpectralRender spectrum (to the right).  It
appears the dispersion algorithm does assume that the IOR is for a
central wavelength, rather than for D.  As for why I needed to go
shorter than 550 for a good visual match, my guess is the non-linear
correlation between refraction and wavelength.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'thru-pbi-diamond1.png' (47 KB) Download 'thru-pbi-diamond2.png' (42 KB) Download 'thru-pbi-diamond3.png' (32 KB)

Preview of image 'thru-pbi-diamond1.png'
thru-pbi-diamond1.png

Preview of image 'thru-pbi-diamond2.png'
thru-pbi-diamond2.png

Preview of image 'thru-pbi-diamond3.png'
thru-pbi-diamond3.png