POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : output image DPI : Re: output image DPI Server Time
24 Apr 2024 16:33:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output image DPI
From: clipka
Date: 2 Apr 2017 05:14:52
Message: <58e0c10c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.04.2017 um 10:27 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

>>> You do realise that it is pointless to add some arbitrary number to an image
>>> file? Apart from the fact that misc image formats, JPEG included, don't have a
>>> standard DPI flag? - It isn't surprising either, as there is absolutely no use
>>> for it ... I might also add that this discussion comes up every few years. So
>>> maybe search the newsgroups for the many answers in that regard.
>>
>> If the image is intended to be printed, there /is/ use for it. You might
>> argue that it's not a strong enough case, but just because you don't see
>> a use case doesn't mean there is none at all.
>
> At least I am in good company:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3CpdbNOSPAM-66C5AC.10595417092005%40news.povray.org%3E/

Quiz:

Q1: How many people involved in that thread had any actual experience in
the printing business?
A1: Only one, as it seems.

Q2: What was the opinion of that person?
A2: Not yours, as it seems.

In a nutshell, what that person wrote is:

If a person from the printing business asks you for an image with a
physical size of X mm by Y mm and a pixel pitch of P pixels per inch,
they _not only_ want the image to be (X,Y)*P/25.4 pixels in size, but
_also_ would like the image header to explicitly say "intended to be
printed at a pitch of P pixels per inch".

Whether this semi-requirement by the printing industry is deemed
unnecessary and confusing by most artists is irrelevant: Apparently it's
a _fact_ of the printing industry (or at leat it was, a dozen years
ago), and therefore /some/ people creating images may want to cater to that.