POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch. : Re: hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch. Server Time
27 Apr 2024 05:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 29 Mar 2017 09:17:07
Message: <58dbb3d3$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/29/2017 04:25 AM, Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Apologizing for joining the thread only now...
>
> Am I right to assume that with the soft_object pattern, gradients
> controlled by objects can be generated? If so, this would be a finally
> solved issue for me!
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

Yes, if I'm understanding your question. Gradients are generated from
objects with both the hard_* and soft_* pattern variants. Objects like
box, sphere, mesh etc so long as they have a defined inside.

The gradients generated behave differently & the image posted to
TinaCHeP shows the hard_object pattern as a pigment on a plane. Attached
is an example of the soft_object variant where I back way down on the
strength parameter so that the individual df3 like virtual grid can be
seen; We essentially get many small sphere gradients at the virtual
voxel centers. The containing object here is a 9 point star mesh
compliments of some code posted by "Mike the Elder" a while back.

For soft_object at strong strengths - giving better overall rounding -
most of the interior has a value of 1.0 and only the near surface
regions of the mesh have the 0-1 gradient.

Both the hard and soft variants normally tend toward 1.0 well inside the
shape. The hard variant stops at 1.0 by nature of the method used, the
soft method internally goes to well over a 1.0 value, but is currently
clamped to 1.0 as all, but the new potential pattern, are presently.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'soft_objectweakstrengthaspigm.jpg' (143 KB)

Preview of image 'soft_objectweakstrengthaspigm.jpg'
soft_objectweakstrengthaspigm.jpg