POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Microsoft Azure and POV-Ray : Re: Microsoft Azure and POV-Ray Server Time
26 Apr 2024 18:47:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft Azure and POV-Ray
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2017 16:58:48
Message: <58d6da08@news.povray.org>
Am 25.03.2017 um 21:03 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Has anyone ever set up a Microsoft Azure virtual machine to run POV-Ray?
>
> I am interested, and am wondering how hard it would be, as well as the
> cost. I *think* you can just rend a virtual machine with Windows on it
> and set up whatever programs you want. But do you have to pre-select how
> many CPU cores you need, or does it scale automatically to whatever your
> current load is?
>
> How is the cost calculated? By the flop, or clock time?

They have a price calculator on the net.

Cores, memory and hard disk space per VM appear to be fixed, and pricing
appears to be by the minute of wall clock time.

Load adaptation appears to be implemented by dynamically adding virtual
machines.

Their wimpiest VM, without load adaptation, appears to cost about 12 EUR
for a total month.

They seem to be offering a free trial, valid for 30 days and services
worth up to about 170 EUR to 200 USD (apparently depending on your
country of origin).