POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Reflectance of 3D canopy : Re: Reflectance of 3D canopy Server Time
24 Apr 2024 17:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflectance of 3D canopy
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 21 Mar 2017 10:12:14
Message: <58d134be$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/20/2017 10:30 AM, muyu wrote:

> No ideas at the moment. Maybe if you posted the resulting images, the
> distribution of light within the canopy might give a hint.
>
> Here it is the setting of the radiosity:
> #version 3.7;
> disc {<9.5780,-10.5050,0.6040>, <0.7070,0.1830,0.6840>, 0.0500
> texture {leaf_text}}
>
> diffuse 0.4957 is front diffuse, 0.4409 is the transmitted light? Should I set
> rgbt or rgbf?
>
> Is this the right way to consider the multi-scattering using Radiosity? I have
> the impression that some processes are missing?
>
> Thax in advance.

Not been following closely, but on seeing some images and code some a
few thoughts pop into my head.

Just a thought, but in play here is perhaps that the 'disc' object has
no thickness. This means rays which are nearly parallel with the plane
of a disc will resolve somewhat noisily (more light transport than
should be I suppose) and also that light will not attenuate/scatter in
the leaf's thickness(1).

Perhaps give us a short description of your Monte Carlo simulation
"standard." Is this also done in POV-Ray? A stand along program or?

Aside: I thought the second diffuse parameter required a proceeding
comma, but if working OK for you must not be the case... :-)

Bill P.

(1) - More accurate leaves could be modeled in POV-Ray, but suspect it
would be costly in terms of complexity and compute resource.