POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup : Re: 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup Server Time
30 Apr 2024 00:59:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.71 beta 4 -- folder opens on computer startup
From: clipka
Date: 20 Mar 2017 08:45:17
Message: <58cfcedd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.03.2017 um 01:11 schrieb Kenneth:

> With the previous beta 4 installation, I *may* have chosen "startup" there,
> thinking that it was the Windows START menu. (A dumb mistake if true, as I never
> like apps to launch when I start my machine.) When I re-installed beta 4, I made
> sure NOT to select "startup" (or anything else); yet the beta 4's icon/shortcut
> was still placed in my START menu anyway, AND on the desktop (but happily,
> nothing was placed in the "startup" folder this time.) The wording in the
> installer is kind of confusing, IMO; it asks where to install a *shortcut* --not
> if you want the program itself to launch when the computer "starts up" (which it
> didn't do previously anyway, it just opened the folder that I originally posted
> the screenshot of.)

The installer bears no blame for the confusion at all: The locations it
offers are just all the existing folders in "Start Menu: All Programs",
in case you want the POV-Ray entry (which is also a folder) to reside in
a subfolder rather than "All Programs" itself. (For instance, imagine
you had manually created a subfolder there earlier, called "3D Rendering
software", then you might wish to install POV-Ray in there.)

The /confusion/ comes in there merely due to the fact Windows happens to
assign special functionality to one of the existing subfolders, namely
"Startup": Anything residing immediately in there (whether it is a
program, a document, a directory, or a link to any of those) is opened
whenever you start Windows.

> I have to admit that part of this confusion comes from my own un-clear
> understanding of Microsoft's use of wording in Windows-- the "Start" menu,
> the"startup" folder there, and the launching of "startup" programs (re: using
> msconfig.exe to choose what apps actually launch when the computer starts up.)

Yeah, there's about a gazillion ways of causing programs to be run at
startup.