POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch. : Re: hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch. Server Time
27 Apr 2024 03:43:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hard_object, soft_object pattern 3.7.2 patch branch.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Mar 2017 08:12:36
Message: <58beb1c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/03/2017 05:43 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> The three attached images were created using two new patterns called
> hard_object and soft_object. They can be found in the patch branch off
> master (3.7.2) at:
>
> https://github.com/wfpokorny/povray/tree/feature/soft_objectAndhard_objectPatterns

One of my goals with the hard_object pattern was to get to where we
could pass an object with a defined inside to some macro and have it
create a peeling paint (PP) (or other surface-skin) isosurface for that
object without the need for extra outside steps.

While obviously not a complete/correct PP implementation, using a
superellipsoid - as Thomas did in his original peeling paint texture
postings - kinda functions. See the attached image.

The bad news is I don't think the performance is tolerable - except
perhaps to those with 32 or more fast, real cores willing to endure some
long renders...

Suspect part of the issue is in doing everything on the fly necessarily
puts the crackle pattern into the overall function being evaluated where
it was previously a separate 2D-in-evaluation outside step. Often the
case with isosurfaces; Put a handful of slightly slow things together in
a function, stick it in an isosurface and you get glacially slow. :-)

Anyway, off to do some performance profiling to see if I can nudge the
technique into the practical realm.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: