POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tracing the path of streams : Re: Tracing the path of streams Server Time
19 May 2024 20:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracing the path of streams
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Feb 2017 03:10:10
Message: <58a80162$1@news.povray.org>
On 17-2-2017 14:29, Kirk Andrews wrote:
> That's looking really good, Thomas!

Thanks, yes, especially the second image, which indicates to me that a
well-behaving substrate does wonders for your little code ;-)

> Which software are you using for erosion? Now that I don't have a PC anymore,
> I've got to find something to run on my Mac.

I am afraid that most are Windows only.

There is Wilbur http://www.fracterra.com/software.html which does a very
good job in tracing river patterns but needs a very noisy substrate to
do it correctly so additional smoothing is necessary (in Wilbur or - as
I do - in another application);

Terrabrush http://www.cyberfunks.de/page/terrabrush/index.htm is another
program I use in between but not so good for erosional processes;

GeoControl (which now seems to be WorldCreator I discover)
http://www.world-creator.com/ is not a free program. It is the heart of
my height_field creation modules. It does a fair erosion job. I don't
know about its latest versions though;

World Machine http://www.world-machine.com/ you already know.

I also grabbed a free copy of Bryce 7 when DAZ made it available a few
years ago. It can generate some interesting height_fields to serve as
basis for deeper treatment later.

Interestingly, You can make fascinating height_fields with Apophysis
flames as basis https://sourceforge.net/projects/apophysis/ . Loaded
into GeoControl for instance, the pattern is transformed into an
interesting landscape.

--
Thomas