POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : flight over fractal mountains and lakes [~577KB Mpg] : Re: flight over fractal mountains and lakes [~577KB Mpg] Server Time
18 May 2024 15:42:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: flight over fractal mountains and lakes [~577KB Mpg]
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 8 Feb 2017 11:12:40
Message: <589b4378$1@news.povray.org>
...and once more the dreadful Thread Necromancer has struck!)

Hi(gh)!

On 25.07.2000 02:07, per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News wrote:
> Christoph's Icy Coast image at p.b.i. had me wanting to do a fly-over of a
> ridged multifractal landscape (again).  This was originally a 480x240 pixel
> panoramic view without AA (it smudged the sharp details even at +a1.0 +r1)
> so was a fairly fast render at about 2m 45s a frame, 240 frames.  To get it
> uploadable here I had to rescale and encode at a terrible bit-rate in Video
> Mach 2, so it actually does look much better in the 8 megabyte version.  I
> thought I had the isosurface doing okay until I realized there's a slice of
> sunlight shining through a mountain into the shadow around midway through
> the animation.  Not visible in this degraded mpeg.
> A slope dependant texture I've had a while is modified for this.  I hope to
> get a better file uploaded to a web space later on, in the meantime I hope
> this one at least plays after taking the time to D/L it.
>
> Bob
> --
> omniVerse http://users.aol.com/persistenceofv/all.htm

A true pioneer work you did back in 2000... and today, 16.5 years later
I would like to ask you whether I may convert it in a way that my
Commodore 64 and/or Atari 1040 STFM would be able to display it! At a
mere 160 by 96, I would even have to scale it *up* to have it fitting
into the C 64's multicolor mode, as my pre-GEOS C 64 does not have any
window manager (and I have no experience yet in interrupt demo
programming). Currently I am not sure whether the C 64's floppy drive
actually would be able to stream it in full length - I probably would
have to add a second VC 1541 floppy drive (or go for the fabulous
1-megabyte SFD-1001, but the chance of finding one seems next to zero...).

However, on the Atari ST with its 720 kilobyte diskettes, it probably
would run nicely in a TOS window, be it in monochrome, 4-color or
16-color mode.

Regardless of all these pre-considerations, I firstly would simply
convert it to color depths that just look like those native classic
computer modes, but run on a modern-day PC, so I might publish it
directly here without having it to video from the C 64's or Atari ST's
screen...

Retrocomputing rules!

See you in Khyberspace (which might also incarnate in an "AtariSTan" or
even "Amig(h)anistan" version)!

Yadgar