POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2 : Re: Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2 Server Time
18 May 2024 14:44:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Public Beta Release v3.7.1-beta.2
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jan 2017 14:25:51
Message: <587a7b3f@news.povray.org>
Am 14.01.2017 um 16:28 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 1/14/2017 9:20 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> On 1/11/2017 12:59 AM, clipka wrote:
>>> POV-Ray 3.7.1 has now officially entered public beta testing phase.
>>> Source code and Windows binaries are available on GitHub:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-beta.2
>>>
>>> (beta.1 was an internal release only.)
>>>
>>> The beta version is designed to install in its own dedicated directory,
>>> and live happily alongside an existing 3.7 installation.
>
> also stumbled upon a windows docs issue as well ...
>
> in 3.2.4.1 output file type towards the bottom in the paragraph that
> starts as: The Radiance Synthetic Imaging System ... there are two
> external links: Radiance  and  OpenEXR. the Radiance link opens up the
> web page inside the windows help viewer, the OpenEXR link opens up the
> web age in default web /browser/ OpenEXR also appears as >>OpenEXR

Unicode/ISO-Latin-1 character U+00BB, "RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE
QUOTATION MARK".

> also have a look from 2.5.6 --> to the bottom of that page there is a
> mix of external links that exhibit the same behavior ... links that are
> preceded by >> open up the web page in default web browser and the links
> /without/ >> open web page inside the windows help viewer.
>
> looked on the wiki and /all/ links markup are consistent and the nix
> docs look fine (no >> anywhere) so i'm guessing it's regex issue in the
> post processing that creates the doze docs

I can confirm that this is indeed created during post-processing for the
Windows HTML Help. From what I glean from the conversion script this is
intended to mark external links, but from the results I conclude that it
indeed fails to catch all instances.

From what I see, there are two cases in which the algorithm fails:

- Non-HTTP external links (e.g. "https://whatever").

- External links followed by more links (external or internal) on the
same HTML source line.

Looks like I can amend the script to catch those as well. If you
discover any instances that don't fall in either category, feel free to
holler out loud.