POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another of Gamma's Smoking Guns : Re: Another of Gamma's Smoking Guns Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another of Gamma's Smoking Guns
From: clipka
Date: 27 Dec 2016 07:22:55
Message: <58625d1f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.12.2016 um 09:21 schrieb Kenneth:

> I decided to run your test scene with assumed_gamma 1.0 instead of 2.2, and
> noticed something about your use of 'rgb' in the light_source. I changed it to
> srgb (which I've started doing in all my v3.7xx scenes, to be 'color-consistent'

BTW, there's a caveat when using "srgb" in light sources: To modify the
brightness without affecting the hue, you need to use

    colour (srgb <R,G,B>)*Brightness

rather than

    colour srgb <R,G,B>*Brightness

because the latter would be interpreted as

    colour srgb (<R,G,B>*Brightness)

and in the sRGB world multiplying a colour vector by a constant does
/not/ correspond to an even scaling of the corresponding linear colour
components. (That would work for f(x)=pow(x,2.2), but sRGB gamma is more
complicated than that.)