POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamma - The Smoking Gun : Re: Gamma - The Smoking Gun Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:06:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma - The Smoking Gun
From: clipka
Date: 24 Dec 2016 00:43:32
Message: <585e0b04$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.12.2016 um 00:02 schrieb Alain:

>> Interesting. Do the default values now reflect assumed gamma 1.0 then
>> or do we
>> still have to tweak them for assumed gamma 1.0?

As I said, the default for `brilliance` does (as does the default for
reflection `exponent`), while the default for `ambient` doesn't.

The default for `diffuse` is in the right ballpark.

> The diffuse should be OK, maybe reduce ambient. For the rest, it should
> be correct.

> something in that range, in the global_settings block.

There's a caveat to this: If you also use other ambient values in your
materials, that change would reduce higher values too much, and reduce
lower values too little.

So you might as well stick to the default of `ambient_light 1.0`, and
instead use:

    default { finish { ambient 0.01 } }

which I think is the cleaner fix.

(Or use radiosity anyway ;))