POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : Re: PovRay Google Trends Server Time
18 May 2024 08:03:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Google Trends
From: dick balaska
Date: 18 Dec 2016 07:13:11
Message: <58567d57$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2016-11-17 17:23, also sprach clipka:

> I once spent hours beside a climate chamber to hunt for a bug that the
> hardware guys couldn't figure out.

I got heat because a custom Altera part I was driving failed with my
software. The part worked just fine with the old software (which was
magnitudes too slow for which it was thrown out).  Clearly my problem.
After a month of begging, I finally got an afternoon with the hardware
guy, who took 10 minutes to figure out that the output of an 8 input
nand gate was ringing into an adjacent line causing false triggers
elsewhere.  Didn't show up when the part was running at 10% capacity.

And then, and *then*, I got big heat because the i82557 SIO chip would
start sending 0's. No errors, hardware checksum was ok. This was my
problem too.  Years later, I found out that shiny new Linux 1.0.3 won't
support network cards with this chip (3C507) because of this known problem.
Thanks for not mentioning that when you sold us on the buggy chip, intel.

--
dik