POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Infinite Scrabble WIP : Re: Infinite Scrabble WIP Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:40:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite Scrabble WIP
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Dec 2016 07:23:56
Message: <5853dcdc$1@news.povray.org>
On 16-12-2016 10:21, Stephen wrote:
> On 12/16/2016 7:39 AM, Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann wrote:
>> Hi(gh)!
>>
>> Am 15.12.2016 um 17:44 schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> I was going to post this in OT but I don't know if you subscribe to it.
>>> You might find this interesting as Afghanistan is included in the
>>> Sentinels map Earth's slow surface warping.
>>
>> Interesting project - but currently I'm more interested in absolute
>> altimetry data, such as provided by the ASTER and TANDEM missions! As at
>> least the original ASTER data have too low resolution to produce
>> realistic landscapes at close range from a "pedestrian" perspective, I
>> started using the topographic map tiles of OpenTopoMap
>> (http://www.opentopomap.org) - which themselves are just an
>> interpolation of ASTER data, but at least they also contain rivers,
>> roads and buildings as well as (rudimentary, but slowly improving)
>> information on soil cover derived from Google Maps aerial imagery.
>> With TANDEM, the resolution probably could improve, but currently the
>> data set is not (at least according to my knowledge) fully accessible by
>> the public.
>>

> It was just in case you ever go back to it again (and again). :)
>
>> However, of course I will have to develop my own contour line
>> interpolation software...
>>

> I thought that you had done that some time ago.
> No it was Tim Cook in 2012. I am getting old and my memory is failing.
> If you look at the link. Sam Benge posted a macro to draw contours.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C507bf848%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=382792&toff=50&mtop=379135

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.507c9bbc53181abf2165ae730%40news.povray.org%3E/

Interestingly, Wilbur (mentioned in my latest images) can do that too.

--
Thomas