POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Paleo-Earth project : Re: Paleo-Earth project Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Paleo-Earth project
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Dec 2016 03:11:54
Message: <5853a1ca@news.povray.org>
On 15-12-2016 19:03, omniverse wrote:
>> I have taken up again my Paleo-Earth project. I wanted to thoroughly
>> test out Wilbur (http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html)
>
> Speaking of time travel, been a very long time since I've seen Wilbur! Good to
> see that again.

It had rested for quite some time in my archives. It is an interesting
little program with quite some surprising stuff.

> There's a Paleo Earth using GE plug-in but it's just flat:
>
> http://phl.upr.edu/projects/visual-paleo-earth/google-vpe
>
> That one also has pinching at the pole.

Same source: the paleogeographic maps published by Scotese:

http://www.scotese.com/

Mapable versions of those can be found on the corresponding wikipedia
pages, e.g.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silurian

 From them, further work involves some extended reading (e.g. for those
interested: Ziegler, P.A. (1989): Evolution of Laurussia - A study in
late Palaeozoic plate tectonics.- Kluwer Academic Publishers) and a bit
of Photoshop/Gimp editing to get an acceptable ocean mask.

--
Thomas