POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RockTest.pov reference image : Re: RockTest.pov reference image Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RockTest.pov reference image
From: clipka
Date: 14 Dec 2016 00:44:32
Message: <5850dc40$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.12.2016 um 06:07 schrieb omniverse:
> "[GDS|Entropy]" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>>> Doesn't sound like something that should happen.
>>>
>>> Care to share any details?
>>
>> Sure. :)
>>
>> The plane in there seems to have no effect, commented or no, which seems to be
>> improper based on what Alain was saying. Here is a minimal scene which
>> reproduces the effect being discussed.
>
> 'Official' and 'alpha' versions render differently so something changed, I guess
> you're not using official 3.7? I get the black void in 3.7.1.1-alpha, while
> official 3.7.0 shows oversaturation of media as would be expected.

Actually, no, that's not what is happening.

Official 3.7.0 shows oversaturation simply because media sampling method
3 had always been buggy, showing somewhat wrong results wherever the
actual number of samples is low (such as in uniform media); this has
been fixed in 3.7.1.

With media sampling methods 1 and 2, POV-Ray has always (since 3.6.2 at
any rate) shown the very same symptoms.

To demonstrate that 3.7.0 sampling method 3 behavior /cannot/ be
correct, just notice how the oversaturation disappears close to the
horizon. With proper computations we should expect exactly the opposite
effect.