POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RockTest.pov reference image : Re: RockTest.pov reference image Server Time
30 Apr 2024 19:58:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RockTest.pov reference image
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2016 17:51:20
Message: <58507b68$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

>>> Thank you. :)
>>>
>>> My goal is to build a fairly comprehensive "Environmentals" macro set that is
>>> both simple to use and nice looking. Given that they are designed to work
>>> together it should take a LOT of the work out of creating natural scenes, and
>>> hopefully inspire some scenes.
>>>
>>> The Rocks macro is coming close to completion, for version 1 at least, and the
>>> Terrain macro is close behind it. Next in the set is the Skies and Fogs.
>>>
>>> The Fog is being a little weird, because Media without a container is only
>>> visible when looking at the plane below it, and it vanishes above the horizon.
>>> ?! Weeeird. Very counterintuitive.
>>>
>>> Any idea why this is, and how to fix it? Is the only choice to bound the media?
>>> I am guessing that this is because it is not reasonable to calculate media for
>>> an infinite space, but I could be wrong.
>>>

>> You are correct on this point. Media sampling can only be computed
>> between two deffined points. When you reatch the background, the far
>> point is undefined, making the computation impossible.
>>
>> Solution : Place a background plane behond the scene. Make it no_image,
>> no_shadow, no_refection and no_radiosity.
>>

>> Alain
>
> When I tried that, the media disappeared entirely, here is the plane I used:
>
> plane
> {
>     z,
>     100
>     no_radiosity
>     no_image
>     no_shadow
>     no_reflection
> }
>
> Did I miss something?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ian

Your plane is facing away from the camera, placing the camera /inside/
the plane.

Add hollow to your plane or reverse it's normal and offset.

plane{
  -z, -100 // Makes the plane face the camera
  no_radiosity no_image no_shadow no_reflection
}

OR

plane{
  z, 100
  no_radiosity no_image no_shadow no_reflection
  hollow // allow media to exist "inside" the plane
}

You could also use inverse instead of hollow or revercing the plane
orientation.

Alain