POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RockTest.pov reference image : Re: RockTest.pov reference image Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:37:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RockTest.pov reference image
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2016 16:58:22
Message: <58506efe@news.povray.org>

> "Cousin Ricky" <rickysttATyahooDOTcom> wrote:
>> "[GDS|Entropy]" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> Here is an "angry" media sky output from the Sky macro.
>>
>> Cecil B. DeMille worthy!
>
> Thank you. :)
>
> My goal is to build a fairly comprehensive "Environmentals" macro set that is
> both simple to use and nice looking. Given that they are designed to work
> together it should take a LOT of the work out of creating natural scenes, and
> hopefully inspire some scenes.
>
> The Rocks macro is coming close to completion, for version 1 at least, and the
> Terrain macro is close behind it. Next in the set is the Skies and Fogs.
>
> The Fog is being a little weird, because Media without a container is only
> visible when looking at the plane below it, and it vanishes above the horizon.
> ?! Weeeird. Very counterintuitive.
>
> Any idea why this is, and how to fix it? Is the only choice to bound the media?
> I am guessing that this is because it is not reasonable to calculate media for
> an infinite space, but I could be wrong.

You are correct on this point. Media sampling can only be computed
between two deffined points. When you reatch the background, the far
point is undefined, making the computation impossible.

Solution : Place a background plane behond the scene. Make it no_image,
no_shadow, no_refection and no_radiosity.

Alain