POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I've seen the light! : Re: I've seen the light! Server Time
1 May 2024 04:58:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've seen the light!
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 2 Dec 2016 23:15:29
Message: <584246e1$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/01/2016 12:27 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 01.12.2016 um 20:28 schrieb Cousin Ricky:
>> =?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>>> This is how POV-Ray should look on the Commodore 64! Block graphic font
>>> in 40 by 25 characters! No image bigger than 1000 bytes!
>>>
>>> Retrocomputing rules! There should be a POV-Ray version for each of the
>>> 1980s' 8-bit classic machines!
>>
>> Apple II: 280 x 192 (effective color resolution 140 x 192), 6 colors
>>
>> TRaSh 80: 80 x 24 (IIRC), black and white
> (According to Wikipedia it was 128x48. Alternatively, 64x16 "greyscale"
> using characters.)
>
> Amstrad CPC: 160x200, 16 colours from a palette of 27 FTW!
> (alternatively 320x200, 4 colours from the same palette)
>
> I still have one of those buggers at home, including some RAM expansion
> and an EPROM board, for a whopping 512+48 kB of usable physical RAM and
> about 128 kB of hard-wired software, so it might actually have the
> capacity to run a (arguably fairly limited) port of our famous
> raytracing software. Don't expect any renders to finish before the
> zombie apocalypse hits though ;)
>
> (Also, burning the software into a set of EPROMS might actually be the
> only reasonable way to get it into the computer; it doesn't have
> anything in terms of standardized external interfaces.)
>
>> IBM PC-XT with CGA: 320 x 200, 4 colors unevenly distributed on the color wheel
>
> PC-XT doesn't cout; it's a 16 bit system, and therefore far too advanced
> to run interesting software.

Then there was the Zenith Z-100 (or H-100 for the Heathkit version) — 640 x 225, 8
colors, IIRC.

I wrote a graphics library for it in C for my own use.  An interesting challenge —
the way the
graphics were implemented was WEIRD!  The three R, B, B planes were separate 64K 8080
segments,
and it used this memory in a non-contiguous manner.  Lots of fun to work out with the
very
limited documentation provided.  But I did end up with a usable C library.   :-)

--
      -=- Larry -=-