POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : On thing leads to another : Re: On thing leads to another Server Time
11 Jun 2024 07:40:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On thing leads to another
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 2 Dec 2016 13:19:06
Message: <5841bb1a$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/20/2016 11:16 AM, clipka wrote:
> Have you considered trying UberPOV? It does include some mechanisms that
> might trim down render times considerably when multiple oversampling
> effects (e.g. focal blur, SSS, area lights, anti-aliasing) are combined.

just tried uberpov 3.7.1-x.colour.8871403 and compared it to pov
3.7.1-alpha.8889454

did a subsurface and scattering comparison (no area lights):

subsurface only: pov 34.315 min  uber 47.6 min  pov 38% faster
scattering only: pov 16.1 min  uber 15.8 min toss up

why the big difference in render time for subsurface!!! not leading me
to expect any pay off by adding more than one effect or area lights into
the mix

absolutely no changes to sdl file other than #version 3.7;  -vs-
#version unofficial patch 3.7;