POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I've seen the light! : Re: I've seen the light! Server Time
7 May 2024 10:58:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've seen the light!
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 1 Dec 2016 22:26:35
Message: <5840e9eb@news.povray.org>
On 2016-12-01 10:57 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Am 02.12.2016 um 02:03 schrieb Alain:

>>> Apple II: 280 x 192 (effective color resolution 140 x 192), 6 colors
>>
>> It have two graphic modes, low res and high res.
>> You describe the hires mode.
>> Low res is 40 x 48 in 16 colours.
>
> Sounds like an abused text mode to me (40x24 characters, using 2-block
> graphic characters and per-character foreground/background colours).

That's effectively what it was, although I can't remember if that was
literally the case.  Either way, it was handled transparently by the
graphics commands.

The original Apple II used a 6 bit ASCII subset, so there was plenty of
room to play around with the extra bits.  The Apple IIe used the full 7
bit ASCII set, but I'm less familiar with that model.