POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CIE L*C*h : Re: CIE L*C*h Server Time
29 Apr 2024 23:36:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CIE L*C*h
From: clipka
Date: 1 Dec 2016 16:32:57
Message: <58409709@news.povray.org>
Am 01.12.2016 um 22:20 schrieb Mike Horvath:

>> To my knowledge, the L*a*b* colour space (which is just the cylindrical
>> parameterization of L*C*h*) was designed for the purpose of
>> quantitatively measuring the perceived difference between two similar
>> colours.
>>

> L*a*b* is rectilinear, L*C*h* is cylindrical.

It's the same shape, the same space; it's just a different way of
specifying locations on that space. Just like polar coordinates are a
different way of specifying locations in planar 2D space. (And,
depending on how the value is stored, there may be different limitations
to what locations can be represented in that manner.)

>> All other properties of the colour model are secondary to that feature.
>> Most notably, it is even unsuited for quantitiatively measuring the
>> perceived difference between very distinctive colours.
>>
>> Another side effect is that the L*C*h* hue parameter has nothing to do
>> with the hue known from the HSV and HSL colour models.
>
> It's pretty useless to me in that case. :(

What do you intend to use it for anyway?