POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CIE L*C*h : Re: CIE L*C*h Server Time
30 Apr 2024 00:10:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CIE L*C*h
From: clipka
Date: 1 Dec 2016 16:14:18
Message: <584092aa$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.12.2016 um 21:30 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Overhead view of the sRGB gamut contained in an CIELCh Cylinder.

> 2. R, G and B don't seem equidistant around the circumference.

That's why it's L*C*h*, not LCH.

To my knowledge, the L*a*b* colour space (which is just the cylindrical
parameterization of L*C*h*) was designed for the purpose of
quantitatively measuring the perceived difference between two similar
colours.

All other properties of the colour model are secondary to that feature.
Most notably, it is even unsuited for quantitiatively measuring the
perceived difference between very distinctive colours.

Another side effect is that the L*C*h* hue parameter has nothing to do
with the hue known from the HSV and HSL colour models.

(That said, your conversion formulae may still be incorrect. The
pictures on Wikipedia agree with your representation, but that obviously
doesn't mean a thing in this particular case ;))