POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : L*C*h(uv) color solid : Re: L*C*h(uv) color solid Server Time
17 May 2024 10:52:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: L*C*h(uv) color solid
From: clipka
Date: 30 Nov 2016 05:38:12
Message: <583eac14$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.11.2016 um 18:08 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 11/29/2016 11:42 AM, clipka wrote:
>> It should be noted however that such a plot is non-trivial: It does
>> /not/ suffice to specify the xy coordinates of the illuminant; the
>> entire colour spectrum needs to be considered instead. For example with
>> illuminants from the F series (fluorescent lighting) we can probably
>> expect the 3D shape to show a distinctive "fingerprint" of the
>> illuminant's spectral emission lines (though I'm not sure how exactly
>> this fingerprint would look like).
>>

> Okay, you've convinced me to give up!
>
> I like to code but suck at math.
>
> ;)

You've made me curious though, so see povray.binaries.animations for a
series of animated CIE xyY gamuts of various illuminants.

Using meshes instead of isosurfaces, because the latter would have been
virtually impossible to manage.

Even then it took me several attempts before I knew how the problem
could be tackled.

I was rather surprised at first to see that the shape isn't convex,
until I realized that it would only be convex in CIE XYZ space. But then
it becomes rather boring, and its relation to the xy horseshoe less obvious.