POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface to mesh : Re: Isosurface to mesh Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:10:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface to mesh
From: Alain
Date: 26 Nov 2016 18:20:09
Message: <583a18a9@news.povray.org>
Le 16-11-25 à 04:12, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 11/25/2016 3:30 AM, Stephen wrote:

>>> I tried it and it's a bad choice I think. Edges aren't sufficiently
>>> sharp and smooth.
>>>

>> Did you use the version with subdivision and variable depth?
>> And you can always edit it to give sharp edges. In fact I would edit it
>> anyway to make some faces flat and the curved face smooth.
>>

> Yes, I tried with subdivision and the following values:
>
>     #declare isoSegs = <32,32,32>;
>     #declare Depth = 3;
>
> The edges are still too rough. I've attached the result. I'm not good
> with modifying meshes by hand, so I will forego doing that. I will
> instead wait for the true isosurface to finish rendering.
>
> There's one thing I'm worried about though. The place where the
> isosurface meets the cylinder showed holes or gaps last time I rendered
> a test image. But hopefully decreasing "accuracy" will clear up the issue.
>
> Mike

It's a accuracy isue, but not the one you think of. It's a isue of
floating point accuracy, or FPU accuracy.
In this case, try increasing the overall scale of your scene by 10: Put
every objects and light_source into an union and add scale 10, then
apply the same to the camera by multiplying the location and look_at
also by 10.