POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface intersection artifacts : Re: Isosurface intersection artifacts Server Time
20 Apr 2024 08:52:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface intersection artifacts
From: Alain
Date: 26 Nov 2016 17:51:26
Message: <583a11ee$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16-11-26 à 13:12, [GDS|Entropy] a écrit :
>> Am 25.11.2016 um 17:51 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> You can see in the image there is a jagged line where the isosurface
>>> intersects the cylinder. Is it possible to get rid of this completely?
>>>
>>> I have set accuracy very low to 0.0001 and max gradient very high to
>>> 10000, but I'm afraid it will never go away completely.
>>
>> You might try changing the overall scale of the entire scene.
>>
>> An overly high max_gradient will not help at all, and will only increase
>> render time.
>>

> Out of curiosity, how close to "as good as it gets" is isosurface
> performance? I love the things but they are prohibitively slow most of the
> time...at least for the things I do with them, which is probably all sorts
> of backwards and wrong to begin with. :)
>
> Ian

Set your max_gradient value as low as you can without degrading the object.
In some cases, using evaluate instead of max_gradient can improve your
performance. I've seen cases where the improvement was prety good.
Using pow() instead of multipliyng a variable by itself can help,
especialy in the case of a cube or higher power.
If your equation(s) can be writen in several ways, it's possible that
some of those ways to be more effecient. Try it if possible.
Make the container as tight as possible. It reduce the sampling needed
and often help in reducing the max_gradient.

In case of artefacts around areas where the isosurface intersect another
surface, try increasing the overall scale of the scene. This also work
with blobs.