POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface intersection artifacts : Re: Isosurface intersection artifacts Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface intersection artifacts
From: clipka
Date: 26 Nov 2016 14:28:52
Message: <5839e274$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.11.2016 um 19:12 schrieb [GDS|Entropy]:
>> Am 25.11.2016 um 17:51 schrieb Mike Horvath:
>>> You can see in the image there is a jagged line where the isosurface
>>> intersects the cylinder. Is it possible to get rid of this completely?
>>>
>>> I have set accuracy very low to 0.0001 and max gradient very high to
>>> 10000, but I'm afraid it will never go away completely.
>>
>> You might try changing the overall scale of the entire scene.
>>
>> An overly high max_gradient will not help at all, and will only increase
>> render time.
>>

> Out of curiosity, how close to "as good as it gets" is isosurface
> performance? I love the things but they are prohibitively slow most of the
> time...at least for the things I do with them, which is probably all sorts
> of backwards and wrong to begin with. :)

There are certainly still ways to optimize, at least for special cases.

One such example would be functions whith lots of subexpressions, each
of which affect the result only in a well-defined region of space, like
the components in a blob.

Other approaches would involve preprocessing the isosurface prior to
rendering -- whether it is conversion to a mesh, pre-computing of
samples in a spatial tree (with the extreme being conversion to voxel
data), or other such fancy stuff.

And last not least there's the execution speed of the user-defined
functions. At present they are executed by a homegrown virtual machine,
which is quite simple and therefore presumably quite fast, but most
certainly no match for just-in-time-compiled code.