POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : LDraw user needs POV help : Re: LDraw user needs POV help Server Time
5 May 2024 19:00:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LDraw user needs POV help
From: clipka
Date: 18 Nov 2016 21:45:56
Message: <582fbce4@news.povray.org>
Am 19.11.2016 um 01:20 schrieb Roland Melkert:

>>> http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21710-post-23886.html#pid23886
>>
>> Looks pretty convincing to me. What bothers you about it specifically?
> Mainly the fact the non transparent part of the image_map isn't transparent on
> transparent part usage. The difference being patterns painted on transparent
> plastic or them being part of the transparent plastic. I think both situations
> can appear in real LEGO though so I'm not sure which one is correct. But for now
> I want them to be the same as much as possible.

I /think/ you may need to try to explain that in a different manner
before I'll be able to grasp that...

Are you talking about the helmet's ornaments looking semi-transparent in
the OpenGL render, but opaque in the POV-Ray render?

To me the opaque ornaments look more convincing, as such features are
usually screen-printed on real-life LEGO parts with quite a good
coverage, rather than being a change in the transparent plastic's tint.

As a matter of fact producing truly multi-coloured plastic parts with a
reasonable degree of control over the distribution of colours is darn
complicated, and would probably be excessively expensive; so wherever
LEGO pieces are multi-coloured, they are either actually assemblies of
multiple parts, or uniformly-coloured parts with screen prints.

If you want a screen print to look imperfect, you can give it a bit of
transparency by blending the image_map (with alpha channel) with a
totally transparent pigment, for example using an average pattern. You
can even use some noisy pattern to model the imperfections and/or wear
typically seen with those screen prints.