POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : LDraw user needs POV help : Re: LDraw user needs POV help Server Time
6 May 2024 01:46:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LDraw user needs POV help
From: clipka
Date: 18 Nov 2016 18:13:10
Message: <582f8b06$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.11.2016 um 22:49 schrieb Roland Melkert:

> Hello all, I'm that user :)

Welcome to the POV-Ray newsgroups :)

> The main problem I'm having is mixing multiple texture blocks to mimic the LDraw
> OpenGL rendering.

Is that really what you want? I mean, the fact that you're using
something different than OpenGL is a clear indication that you're not
happy with the OpenGL results... or am I missing something?

So you should never ask, "does that mimic the LDraw OpenGL rendering",
but "does that look realistic".

> I was expecting the multiple layers to 'inherit' things from the lower textures
> so if you have a red pigment with some reflection etc and add a image_map
> texture on top of that it would result in a surface with the top level textures
> properties but with the png blended on top.

In POV-Ray, layered textures do not inherit anything from other textures
in the stack. Each has its own independent finish properties. It is also
important to note that wherever lower layers peep through, finish
effects such as specular highlights and reflections from both layers are
added.

Layered textures therefore tend to be difficult to control. If possible,
I'd recommend using texture maps (they tend to be slower though). You
can use the alpha channel of an image to choose between two textures,
and then use the colour channel of the same image for one of them. Let
me know if you need help with the details.

That said, maybe I can add a switch to layered textures in POV-Ray that
would cause the alpha channel of a layer to knock out not only that
layer's diffuse component, but also highlights and reflection. I guess
such a switch might come in handy for non-LDraw users as well.

I hope I am making sense to you, and am barking up the right tree. If
not, let me know.

> I hope this is somewhat understandable from non LDraw users.
>
> See this post for an OpenGL comparison with the current exported results.
>
> http://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21710-post-23886.html#pid23886

Looks pretty convincing to me. What bothers you about it specifically?