POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 25 years of POVRay : Re: 25 years of POVRay Server Time
15 May 2024 20:05:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 25 years of POVRay
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 17 Nov 2016 12:04:04
Message: <582de304$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 06.11.2016 08:55, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Oh! Yes! This is quintessential Ray Tracing indeed! It were images like
> this that got me interested in the first place, also influenced by the
> mythical Amiga which I bought in 1986.

Same with me... except for that it could not have been long before 1990
when I encountered the very word "raytracing" for the first time!
Interest in 3D graphics was sparked in me when I entered the world of
16-bit computing with my first Atari 1040 STFM in September of 1990
after six years with a Commodore 64 and 128 (the Amiga came in 1992) and
started subscribing the German ST Magazin...

Recently, I discovered the Commodore 64 demo scene which is surprisingly
thriving even more than 30 years after the glorious pioneer days of home
computing (I still remember some names from ancient cracktros!)... and
they even do some kind of raytracing (though not real-time - the C 64 is
many orders of magnitude too slow to be capable of this) and very
effectful 3D animations!

In the not too distant future (depending on how soon I may find an
affordable Amiga (500) with RGB monitor) I also will explore the Amiga
world, together with my loved one who is also an avid raytracerer and
Amiga retrocomputerist... I already installed the UAE Amiga emulator
under Linux and Windows, which gives me the opportunity to "retroPOV"
classic Amiga games!

Perhaps even Khyberspace will exist some day in an 8-bit or 68000
incarnation...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar