POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : Re: PovRay Google Trends Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Google Trends
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Nov 2016 11:51:41
Message: <5829eb9d$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/14/2016 05:43 AM, Mr wrote:

> Indeed, as one of the latest capture shows in his thread, we strived hard with
> Lanuhum to make the pov primitives dynamic into Blender and they are more
> dynamic and parametric than all native Blender primitives ! They are all shipped
> with official version of Blender.
> https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray

I've "borrowed" several of the sample materials over time - Thanks.

I'm not much of a modeling user. My POV-Ray use over the years being
primarily utilitarian-work or utilitarian-community related. Creating
figures, presentation, advertising and event materials, etc. with
POV-Ray. It's a VERY capable, general tool in this respect.

Weighting my view as an infrequent user of modelers, it's my opinion any
further investment in a general scene modeling interface should be
Blender based.

I know there were plans for Moray on its acquisition, but given the
actual state of Moray today with respect to 3.7 support today, I think
it very unlikely it will be upgraded to support 3.7 onward(1).

I think we should admit this reality and change the last sentence of the
opening paragraph of the Wikipedia POV-Ray wiki page at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POV-Ray

from:

"Many methods for generating the 3-D models are used, including a
companion program "moray" for interactive modeling."

to perhaps:

"Many methods for generating the 3-D models are used, including the
the free and open source 3D creation suite Blender."

and then only lightly mention Moray in the body of the page. No new user
to POV-Ray will pick up Moray as is. Thoughts? Want me to make this
update?

Yes, there are other things on the POV-Ray Wikipedia page that should be
updated I think. Of late, I've been making updates to the preview
release portion of the page as Christoph puts out 3.7.1 releases, but
nothing more.

Aside: One thing Blender, MakeHuman and the like do better than POV-Ray
with respect to attracting new users is create cool, splash advertising
web pages for features old and new. Another is there tends to be ready
to grab linux packages - via the debian/ubuntu Personal Package Archive
(PPA) mechanism, for example.

Bill P.

(1) - As important as any initial modeling implementation, is ongoing
support. Blender has this covered to a degree due the Blender Foundation.