POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : Re: PovRay Google Trends Server Time
1 Jun 2024 17:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Google Trends
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Nov 2016 07:56:06
Message: <582862e6@news.povray.org>
On 13-11-2016 13:06, David Buck wrote:
> What POVRay needs is its own user interface tailored to POVRay. Other
> user interfaces tend to break the world into triangles which don't
> translate well to POVRay.  The POVRay text files are cumbersome because
> they are non-visual and they force you to constantly switch from text
> mode to render mode.
>
> I would like to see a user interface that supports all of the POVRay
> primitives.  It would allow you select components of the scene with
> parameters that are alterable.  You don't necessarily need to see the
> text but rather a graphical representation of the text.  It would allow
> you to change any parameters and would re-render the scene automatically
> with those changes.  The rendering might be incremental - it renders in
> low resolution first and refines the image as you wait or renders
> without textures then with textures or it renders without reflections
> and later adds reflections - just some ideas.
>
> I often find myself asking "What happens if I change this parameter?" To
> answer that I need to keep editing and rendering until I understand it.
> I'd rather select the parameter in a UI and use the mouse to change the
> value and see in real time what it does to the image.
>
> Thoughts?
> David Buck

Yes, I agree with that indeed. That could be something like an enhanced
Moray, could it not? All the more reasons to have Moray dusted off I
believe, but that involves (wo)manpower which I believe the pov-team
lacks at the moment. In the meantime, we - as users - could seriously
assess what exactly we want changed - in Moray, if that is the course to
follow - or implemented in a brand-new interface.

[I think it might be time for me to take Moray down from the 'shelf of
forlorn programs', and start playing again...]

--
Thomas