POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Can I pay someone to add this from MegaPov? : Re: Can I pay someone to add this from MegaPov? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 01:58:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can I pay someone to add this from MegaPov?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Nov 2016 05:08:21
Message: <5821a415$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.11.2016 um 00:05 schrieb [GDS|Enropy]:

> On a personal note, any bounty I pay will also have a donation to the Pov
> Team/org as a whole if such a thing is possible. Do they have a Patreon
> page or something? I want to make sure the whole org benefits.

The POV-Ray dev team as a whole has a tradition of discouraging monetary
donations, to protect against quarrels among all the contributors over a
fair scheme for distributing such donations.

(They did put up the occasional Amazon wishlist to get a new hard drive
for the web server or a raytracing-related book for one of the team
members, but that's an entirely different matter.)

The only crowdfunding platform the POV-Ray dev team is officially
present on is an open source bounty platform where anyone can put up
bounties for any issue tracked on any GitHub project, potentially
without the project owners even knowing about this; so we officially
claimed dibs on the POV-Ray project on their platform to assert at least
a minimum degree of control over this mechanism. But currently we don't
publicly advertise our presence there.

As a member of the POV-Ray dev team, I stay in line with this policy.

As the person behind UberPOV I tend to be less picky, and had actually
set up means for people to funnel funds my way soon after the start of
that project; but out of respect for my fellow contributors I'm not
making much fuss in official POV-Ray channels about this fact (which is
probably why nothing much has come out of it previously ;)).