POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 25 years of POVRay : Re: 25 years of POVRay Server Time
3 May 2024 03:50:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 25 years of POVRay
From: David Buck
Date: 7 Nov 2016 20:26:25
Message: <582129c1$1@news.povray.org>
My goal with raytracing has always been to have fun and to encourage
others to have fun with technology.  It's gratifying to hear that so
many people have gotten so much out of it.  If I inspire anyone to learn
about computers and graphics I'm delighted.

For myself, I'm President and CEO of a small company called Simberon.
We do object-oriented consulting and training - primarily in the
Smalltalk programming language (DKBTrace and POVRay were written in C
but incorporate some object oriented concepts taken from my prior
experience in Smalltalk).  I'm often asked to deliver courses on
Smalltalk and I love teaching them.  One time when I was delivering a
course, one of the students asked if Smalltalk could be used for
computer graphics.  I asked what kind of graphics.  He said that he was
doing raytracing.  I said that Smalltalk's floating point processing was
normally a bit too slow for that and I asked what package he used for
raytracing.  He said it was POVRay.  "Oh", I said coyly, "I wrote that".
  I had my name on the whiteboard at the front and he looked at it and
said "Are you the David Buck who wrote DKBTrace?" "Yes", I said.  "Wow",
he said, "what a coincidence".  I just said "Not for me".

I then clarified that I wrote DKBTrace and helped with POVRay in the
early days but many more people have made POVRay into the amazing
package it is today.  I've had little involvement since the early
1990's.  I still feel proud of what POVRay has become, though, and my
part in making it.

Thanks for your story.  It warmed my heart.

David