POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Losing the ability to POV... : Re: Losing the ability to POV... Server Time
24 Apr 2024 00:50:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Losing the ability to POV...
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Nov 2016 09:50:43
Message: <582094c3$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/07/2016 08:46 AM, Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann wrote:

> The lowermost layer consist of equally spaced squares - so I thought
> using the boxed pigment would be appropriate. But... whatever I try, I
> always only get uniform black!
>
> Is it an idiosyncrasy of 3.7? Or do I simple lose the general ability to
> do anything sensible with POV-Ray?

Remember that that boxed pattern is not a repeating one. It is 1.0 at
the origin and 0.0 at the sides of the box. You've moved the boxed
pattern down to the depth of the plane with a translate, but then you
have a scale 0.1 so the value at the plane is outside the box or 0.0
always.

Your camera is also quite close to the plane so even moving to a scale
of 1.0 for the boxed based pigment it might be hard to see the gray
gradient. Perhaps use a camera angle of 80 instead of 40 or move the
camera up the y axis.

Lastly, you might find the pavement or tiling patterns of use for what
you are trying.

Bill P.