POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 25 years of POVRay : Re: 25 years of POVRay Server Time
18 May 2024 23:37:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 25 years of POVRay
From: David Buck
Date: 6 Nov 2016 06:58:00
Message: <581f1ac8$1@news.povray.org>
On 2016-11-05 10:32 PM, omniverse wrote:
> David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
>>
>> Here's an image rendered by DKBTrace before it became POVRay.  It was
>> modeled by Rick Demers at Carleton University.
>
> That sky is what I was wanting to see again! Just like I remember it.
>
> I suppose this would have been old ruins before its time if really built that
> way. Not going to collapse as it is, being a ray traced image!
>
> To my eyes there's an illusion of actual surface displacement because the two
> nearest column bases aren't touching the ground. Of course the 'normal' waviness
> helps to do that. Realized it must be a sphere it is set upon, not centered atop
> it. Only a guess.
>
> Bob

The desert floor is actually a flat plane.  Here's a section of the old
DKBTrace data file for it.  (and yes, we Canadians spell colour with a u)

{ Define the desert floor }
OBJECT
    PLANE <0.0 1.0 0.0> -2.0 END_PLANE

    TEXTURE
       0.05  { This value dithers the colours }
       COLOUR RED 1.0 GREEN 0.66 BLUE 0.2
       RIPPLES 0.5
       FREQUENCY 2000.0
       SCALE <50000.0 50000.0 50000.0>