POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 25 years of POVRay : Re: 25 years of POVRay Server Time
3 May 2024 03:04:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 25 years of POVRay
From: David Buck
Date: 4 Nov 2016 22:28:19
Message: <581d43c3$1@news.povray.org>
I can remember having the idea for raytracing as early as 1981 or so.  I
came up with the idea independently - I wasn't aware of Turner Whitted's
article on raytracing. The problem was that the computer I had at the
time didn't have the graphics capability to display raytraced scenes.
The idea didn't go beyond the idea phase but I do remember that it was a
raytracing approach.

It was 1986 when I had an Amiga that a friend of mine brought over a
Unix raytracer written in C.  It rendered only gray scale images and
only spheres but I was blown away by the images.  I played with it for a
while but decided I could do better writing my own from scratch.

I must say that the best part was when I implemented procedural
textures.  Seeing marble, wood and water textures for the first time was
pure joy.  I was always amazed by pictures in the SIGGRAPH proceedings
and with DKBTrace I could create pictures just like that.  It was amazing.

I took a lot of inspiration from Ken Perlin's article "An Image Processor"

http://www.sci.utah.edu/~kpotter/Library/Papers/perlin:1985:IS/

I went through that paper several times over and implemented those
techniques into DKBTrace.  I still find them amazing.

David