POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma handling discussion : Re: gamma handling discussion Server Time
27 Apr 2024 04:35:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma handling discussion
From: Warp
Date: 4 Nov 2016 04:25:21
Message: <581c45f0@news.povray.org>
> >> http://koti.kapsi.fi/warp/media/pov37_test2.png
> >> http://koti.kapsi.fi/warp/media/pov37_test4.png

> As far as I'm concerned, the default ambient is just a place holder.
> That said, on those occasions when I forgo radiosity, my ambient value
> is usually greater than rgb 0.1, even though I use assumed_gamma 1.  The
> scenes in which I use less than rgb 0.1 all have a very dark
> environment.  This is to say that rgb 0.1 is a perfectly fine default,
> and I would certainly not lower it.

You honestly think that pov37_test4.png looks better than pov37_test2.png
above?

My question pertains to how POV-Ray should behave by default. If you are
not aware of any #default statements and ambient finishes, and you use
assumed_gamma 1.0 and specify all colors in terms of srgb, which one of
those two images should be the default result?

(Note that the first one corresponds to the ambient finish brightness you
got in POV-Ray 3.6 using all default values.)

--
                                                          - Warp