POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Meshified parametrics : Re: Meshified parametrics Server Time
17 May 2024 14:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshified parametrics
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 26 Oct 2016 05:40:19
Message: <58107a03$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/23/2016 12:40 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>  I read one person write HSV is good for photographers, but I
>> don't understand how, and I never use HSV personally if I can help it.
>
> That's an odd claim.  I don't see how either HSV or HSL would be good for
> photographers, as the L or V component corresponds to the inner workings of the
> color system, and not to visual impression.  Wikipedia goes into the downsides
> of these systems.

The claim had something to do with a red object staying red no matter
how bright a light you shine on it. I.e. the "value" of the red object
can only become more red, not white when lit. This is apparently more
important to photographers who work mostly with non-emissive objects and
whitish lights.

OTOH, HSL or L*c*h* or Munsell are more intuitive to artists who create
colors from scratch and need them to be lighter or darker.

I don't recall where this discussion took place, but here is a similar one:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/17350333/330663

Mike